top of page

Modification of a Court Order

Seeking a Modification of an Existing Custody/Visitation/Support Order

In New York, child custody and child visitation is ordered until the child reaches 18 years.


It is understood that circumstances may change from the time that custody/visitation was ordered to now. As such, either parent may petition the Court for a modification (change) of a custody or visitation order. The petitioning parent must establish and demonstrate that a substantial “change of circumstances” occurred since the date of the order.


The court would hold a hearing to determining if a modification is in the child’s best interests. The Court typically hears both custody and visitation proceedings on the same date. Should the Court be inclined to modify the Order, a new Order will be signed and be in place and stead of the prior order.

It is best to consult with an Attorney as these matters can be complicated. We understand life changing circumstances happen. Let us help you.

5 Years of Accumulated Practice

Speak to an Attorney

No matter what side you are on, it is important to be represented by Counsel. Keep in mind, each situation varies. To best assess your situation, give us a call so we can assist you.

bottom of page